Monday, September 25, 2006

The Jetty

Columbia River Jetty Project
For some reason, today I decided to drive down to Fort Stevens State Park, and take some pictures out at the Columbia River Jetty. It's probably because every time I drop Peyton off at her daycare in Hammond, I see one semi-truck after another pulling flat beds with giant boulders to repair the South Jetty. It is a massive project. I according to the the plaque at the site, the mouth of the columbia exports more grain than any other river in the world with the exception of the Mississippi River. It said that two thirds of the giant rock wall is actually under water, and that it is about 65 feet high from the ocean floor to the top of the wall.
Fort Stevens State Park
I also decided to check out some other areas of the beach while I as there and take some scenery shots.

No comments: